Monday, February 05, 2007

Memories!

My son and I drove by our first apartment the other day, really the only place we lived as a complete family (except for a brief attempt at reconciliation). My son was only 2 at the time so I didn't expect him to remember much but I asked anyway. He said the only thing he could remember was that I used to take him up the street to look at the horses and throw rocks in the pond. I was amazed, we really only did that a couple of times and the pond was actually just a puddle left over from a big storm. That got me thinking! We only have so much room in our heads for memories, what made him select that memory over so many others?

I thought back to my own childhood and the memories that stood out from my earliest days were related to emotional moments. Some of the memories were nice and some were not so pleasant but almost all of the early ones involved some type of emotion. I remember telling my Mother that I wanted to be a writer when I grew up and her saying "honey, you have to read something first" I remember thinking "I don't like to read so I guess I can't be a writer" I also remember walking home from school with my 2nd grade girlfriend and spilling milk on a girl I really liked in first grade and a crush on my 3rd grade teacher.

I asked my son to think about what he remembers from his early childhood. In addition to the memory I mentioned above, he remembered his Grandma taking him to see the construction workers building homes (when he was around 4 yrs. old). He remembered the cockroaches at his mom's house when they lived with her parents and he remembered me being late to pick him up from school one day (he was the only kid left). I remember that event also, I can still see the hurt in his face. Fortunately there were several more positive memories that involved me. I was struck by how much these events had apparently impacted him but I had to think hard to remember most of them.

It appears our deepest memories are made from emotional events; not from all the fun things we did while growing up but often from the everyday mundane things we did. They come from living and sharing an emotional connection. If you are a parent, my suggestion is to ask your kids what they remember from their early childhood and work on making those types of events a regular part of your relationship -- if they were positive. I’m no expert on memories but I do know we remember them for a reason.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Memories are so powerful. I feel bad for my sister. She was in a car accident at age 18 and her long term memory has been affected. There are only a couple of events that she can remember that are over 10 years old. We keep telling her the stories so she has something. Boy that accident is something I blocked out. She had amnesia for over a month. I only remember how upset my Mom and Dad were. Randy I've just started reading your blog. I'm a 37 year old divorced female with no children. I've recently started dating a single Dad of two. I'm looking for some insight on what he's trying to accomplish in life and if I can be a part of that. He's such a good man that I would like things to work out. Do you have some suggestion of reading material or websites that deal with my situation? To me knowledge is power and it helps keep me sane :) Thanks and Happy New Year - Kristie

Randy Smythe said...

Hi Kristie,

I really don't have any list of resources for single parents or their significant others. I pretty much just parented from the "seat of my pants"

I would be gald to offer my perspective if you could give me more infomration on the situation. How long you have been dating, what specific concerns you have etc.

Hope you have a great 2008.

R

Anonymous said...

Thanks for responding. My boyfriend would agree with you about "the seat of my pants" expression. My guy and I have been seeing each other for about two months now. I know this doesn't seem like very long, but a few weeks ago he asked me to be exclusive. No pressure from my side. I was actually surprised when he asked. He's been having me spend more time together with his girls (now 15 and 6) and I've met his Mom. I even met the ex-wife. His ex is allowed two hours a week of supervised visitation. I know most people think that I'm too involved with his kids for the amount of time we've been seeing each other, but I followed his lead and he did tell me that only one of his other "dates" had met the girls before me. I'm very flattered by all of this, and I do (for the most part) understand what I'm getting into here. You're a single Dad and I want to know what single Dad's think of all of this dating stuff. It's not just going out when you have kids. And I don't want to push him into something he isn't ready for or something that he's not sure his girls are ready for. I think I'm also looking for some signs (for lack of a better word) of how I know that I can be a part of their lives. I don't want to stand on the outside of the circle and look in forever. This is rightly still happening. Is it possible to be included in all of their lives someday? Is time really all that I can rely on to tell me this?

Thanks Kristie

Randy Smythe said...

Kristie,

I think time is the best guide and as we get older the amount of time needed to make big life decisions is much less then when we were younger. He's already signaled his interest by wanting to be "exclusive" so take some time to enjoy and explore that and the rest will take care of itself.

At some point you will need to talk about where the relationship is headed but my suggestion for now is follow his lead. The relationship with his kids will have to evolve.

There is a delicate balance. If he invites you to be more involved with his kids then I think that presents an opportunity to discuss where he hopes the relationship will go.

As for dating single parents I error on the side of not developing emotional attachments with the kids until you (both adults) are both committed long-term. It isn't fair to the kids or yourself to bond if it is a short-term relationship.

Good Luck! Hopefully he is the right guy for you and soon you will both know it.