Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Little Boy is all Growed Up!

It seems like just yesterday I was watching my son standing in my shoes like they were boats, looking out the window pointing to the people as they walked by and saying "truck"(I can't remember how old he actually was but he had just learned to talk). Now today, roughly 16 years later, he has just been hired for his first job (he plays football so this was his first opportunity to look for a job). I was very proud and happy when I heard the news but the happiness quickly turned to melancholy (for dramatic effect). It hit me like a ton of bricks; he really doesn't need me for much these days. He has his own car, (a 1969 Camaro he got from his step-dad) he will soon be spending his own money (yeah!), he’s fortunately not serious with any of his girl friends and now he has his first job. It appears I’m not too far away from the empty nest, which sucks by the way.

Wow, has time just flown by?! Questions started popping into my head. Did I teach him enough about life? I’m sure I overlooked something, what was it? Why is my toenail black and blue? I came to the realization that I did what I knew how to do at the time. I passed on the lessons I had learned from my dad and made some adjustments and he’s turned out to be a happy, responsible, well-adjusted and employed kid. I shouldn’t stress about it. I’ve still got a couple of more years before he goes away to college so I should just soak it all in.

No comments: