Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Struggle to be Dad First then Bud!

When I first thought up this blog I was going to steer it toward a discussion on how to be a good Single Dad unfortunately that's not really what it’s become. It's more of a Memoir of a Single Dad. So, hopefully I won't bore you with my musings on parenting and you will be able to pick out some nuggets of truth from my experiences.

A great many of the single Dad's I know and in fact some of the divorced Dad's who've remarried struggle with the idea of being an authority figure for their kids. I only have a son so I can only imagine how it would be with a daughter but for me it is much easier to be a buddy then it is to be a Killjoy. I know in my case I felt guilty that he wasn't going to have the childhood like mine so I would often lean towards doing the fun stuff rather stuff that needed to get done and I didn't push him to do much around the house, which ticked off his mom and will probably tick off his future wife. Sorry!

Fortunately, in my case, something I did worked well and I've got a great kid. Of course his Mom ended up being the Killjoy, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you set clear bounderies you really can't do that much wrong in parenting. We always encouraged our kids to try and be the best they could be, Housework was never part of their duties. We figured they will learn all that once they have a place of their own. Not being a single mom doesn't make it any easier. My husbnad ansd I don't always see eye to eye on parenting.

Randy Smythe said...

I hear you on that! A lot of the things I've experienced are not exclusive to being a single parent.

Thanks for the comments!